NYSPIA News and Updates

  • Veteran Status Designation on a Photo Document

    Tuesday, February 16, 2016

    If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NYS drivers license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.

    You can apply for the veteran status designation when you renew your driver license by mail using your renewal notice (MV-2) and a photocopy of your proof of honorable discharge.

    You can renew a NYS driver license or NDID within 12 months or less of the expiration date. If you’d prefer to apply for the designation prior to this time period and cannot visit your local DMV, you can still apply by mail for a replacement document, updated with the veteran status designation. Please include a written request to add the designation, use the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (MV-44), send a photocopy of your current photo document and your proof of honorable discharge.

    Mail everything to:

    DMV License Production Bureau
    Room 331, 6 Empire State Plaza
    Albany, NY 12228