NYSPIA Memorial Tributes

  • Paul R. Stuewer

    TROOP "NYC" - OCTOBER 5, 2016 

    On October 5th, 2016, Investigator Paul R. Stuewer died from cancer stemming from his assignment to the World Trade Center Site, following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. 

    In response to the events of 9/11, Investigator Stuewer was assigned to aid with the search and recovery efforts in New York City, as part of the New York State Police Detail. 

    He entered the State Police on September 26, 1990 and served the Division for 26 years. He was last assigned to the Drug Enforcement Task Force in New York City and resided in Poughkeepsie, New York. 

    He is survived by his wife, their children and his parents.

    Thomas G. Moran Jr.

    TROOP “NYC” - JULY 22, 2012

    Senior Investigator Thomas G. Moran, Jr., 54, died on July 22, 2012 from cancer stemming from his assignment at the World Trade Center Site following the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001.

    Following the events of 9/11, Senior Investigator Moran was assigned to the “Bucket Brigade” at the World Trade Center to aid in the search and recovery efforts. Senior Investigator Moran retired on December 20, 2011 after his cancer diagnosis.

    Senior Investigator Moran entered the Division on October 19, 1981 and served with the New York State Police for 30 years. At the time of his retirement he was a Senior Investigator assigned to Troop NYC.

    Thomas M. O’Neill

    TROOP “L” - JULY 6, 2005

    Senior Investigator Thomas M. O’Neill died at the age of 56 on July 6, 2005. Senior Investigator O’Neill suffered a fatal heart attack while arresting an individual at a local gas station in the Town of Islip.

    Senior Investigator O’Neill began his law enforcement career with the Long Island State Parkway Police on January 13, 1972. On January 1, 1980, he joined the State Police as part of the Parkway Police merger and was assigned the rank of Technical Sergeant. In November 1984, he was appointed to Investigator and then to Senior Investigator in January of 1990.

    Senior Investigator O’Neill was assigned to SP Brentwood at the time of his death.

    Ricky J. Parisian

    TROOP “H” (SIU WHITE PLAINS) - MAY 20, 1994

    On Friday, May 20, 1994, Investigator Ricky J. Parisian, 34, a member of the Special Investigations Unit, was shot and killed when he attempted to stop an armed robbery at a supermarket in the City of Oneonta.

    Parisian, who was off duty at the time of the attack, was shopping with his wife when he spotted the robbery in progress. Assisted by his wife, Parisian first ushered store customers to a safe area. He then ran to the front of the store and tackled the robber. Both men fell through a plate glass window. The attacker, who was armed with a sawed off shotgun, rose to his feet and fired once at Parisian. Mortally wounded, Parisian continued to struggle with his assailant and managed to tear off the ski mask the robber wore and disarm him. He then collapsed and his attacker fled. The mask and shotgun were secured as evidence and were instrumental in the apprehension of the robber.

    Investigator Parisian was an eight year veteran of the Division at the time of his death.

    Joseph T. Aversa

    TROOP “H” (DETF) - MARCH 5, 1990

    On March 5, 1990, at 3:35 p.m., Investigator Joseph Aversa, age 31, was fatally wounded and two New York City Police Department detectives were shot in an exchange of gunfire with an armed assailant who attempted to rob one of the officers during a narcotics operation. Investigator Aversa, a member of the New York City Drug Enforcement Task Force, was engaged in a "buy‑bust" operation which involved the purchase of a large quantity of cocaine.

    Investigator Aversa was a six‑year veteran of the New York State Police at the time of his death.

    Richard B. Snyder

    TROOP “F” - SEPTEMBER 20, 1984

    Investigator Richard B. Snyder was shot and killed while interviewing a witness on September 20, 1984. He was 37 years old at the time of his death.

    Investigator Snyder was shot in an ambush by a subject who at the time had been released on bail pending trial for conspiracy and attempted robbery. Revenge is theorized as the motive for the shooting as the assailant had previously been arrested by Investigator Snyder for burglary, unlawful imprisonment and menacing. The subject later committed suicide.

    Investigator Snyder was a decorated Marine veteran who served in Vietnam. He joined the State Police in 1970 and was assigned to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation at Wurtsboro at the time of his death.

    Thomas L. Buck

    TROOP “A” - MARCH 19, 1981

    On November 29, 1971, Investigator Thomas Buck, while in the process of making an arrest for illegal possession of a hypodermic needle, punctured his finger securing the needle as evidence. In early 1972, Investigator Buck was diagnosed as having developed infectious hepatitis. Thereafter, Investigator Buck experienced intermittent episodes of liver dysfunction and entered into disability retirement on August 1, 1979. Investigator Buck died at age 36 on March 19, 1981.

    Robert VanHall Jr.

    TROOP “E”- DECEMBER 5, 1980

    Investigator Robert L. VanHall Jr. was shot and killed on December 5, 1980. He was 35 years old.

    Assigned to the Troop "E" Narco Squad, Investigator VanHall Jr. and his partner were about to arrest two brothers on East Market Street in the City of Corning for trafficking in cocaine and marijuana. Investigator VanHall Jr. was a passenger in an unmarked SP car which was struck by the wanted subjects as they tried to elude arrest. Investigator Van Hall, unable to exit his vehicle, was shot through the passenger window with a double barreled shotgun.

    Investigator VanHall Jr. was a Vietnam veteran, serving in the U.S. Army Green Berets before joining the Division of State Police.

    Leslie S.  Grosso

    TROOP “H” - MAY 21, 1974

    Investigator Leslie S. Grosso died as a result of a gunshot wound received during a drug arrest in New York City. Investigator Grosso, with other members of the New York Drug Enforcement Task Force, were completing a drug deal when he was shot in the chest.

    Investigator Grosso was an eleven year veteran of the State Police, having joined on September 10, 1962.

    Bruce McCully


    Investigator Bruce McCully died on September 30, 1973, at Albany Medical Center Hospital of hepatitis contracted during an undercover drug investigation. He was 28 years old at the time of his death.

    Investigator McCully was assigned to the Division Headquarters Drug Enforcement Detail and had previously served in Troop “G” for five years.

    He joined the State Police in the fall of 1968 and was the class representative for the 115th and 116th Academy classes.

    John F.  Cotter

    TROOP “F” - NOVEMBER 21, 1970

    Investigator John F. Cotter died from injuries sustained in a one‑car accident which occurred November 21, 1970.He was 33 years old at the time.

    Investigator Cotter was returning to the Middletown Station from a trial in Sullivan County when his car left the road on rain slick Route 17.

    Investigator Cotter was the recipient of several commendations for outstanding police work and had been assigned to the Middletown BCI Unit for two years preceding his death.

    Bryant P. Stickles

    TROOP “C” - SEPTEMBER 11, 1944

    On September 11, 1944, Investigator Bryant P. Stickles, 36, was killed in action on the Island of Saipan.

    Investigator Bryant P. Stickles joined the Division at Troop “C”, Sidney, on August 16, 1936. He was promoted to Investigator on April 1, 1941 and was granted a Military Leave of Absence January 22, 1943. At the time of his death, Marine Sergeant Stickles was assigned to coordinate the advances of two combat units and was attempting to reach one unit from the other when he was killed by an enemy sniper.